When you decide to purchase a yacht, one of the choices you have to make is whether you’re in the market for a new or used vessel. There’s a lot to take into consideration such as your budget, personality, and what features you want. Each option comes with its own advantages and disadvantages that you need to look at before making your final decision.
Perks of Buying a Used Yacht
The most obvious advantage of going with a used yacht instead of a sparkling new one is cost. You’ll spend less and might be able to get a vessel with more advanced features and specifications than if you splurged on a new one. That’s not the only benefit though. A few other perks of deciding to go with a used yacht include:
- Immediate delivery. You can get your boat right away without waiting for the manufacturer to build or customize it. Once you decide that you want to make the purchase, it’s yours.
- Selection. Choosing a used yacht expands your opportunities and allows you to pick and choose what you do and don’t want in your vessel. A broker can help you navigate the waters until you find the perfect one that suits your needs.
- Depreciation. A new yacht depreciates anywhere from 2 to 4 percent per year depending on its features, but buying a used one means the majority of depreciation is already done, so you get the best bang for your buck.
Benefits of Purchasing a New Yacht
The most obvious advantage of purchasing a new yacht is that you get to pick, choose, and customize every aspect. You have access to the newest gear, designs, and technology. Some other advantages are:
- Warranty – Nothing in life is guaranteed, and a warranty ensures that even if something does go wrong with your new boat that the manufacturer will fix the problem.
- Reassurance – When buying a used boat you’re questioning, at some point, why it’s for sale. A new boat doesn’t leave that worry in the back of your mind and gives you more confidence and assurance in your purchasing decision.
Looking at the various advantages that come with buying a new or used yacht, you can see that it’s not as simple as you might have thought. A broker experienced with San Diego yacht sales can assist you in identifying your needs and help get you into the perfect yacht.